Pennsylvania Resources:

Housing and Utility Assistance
Familiar Roads Home HealthCare understands the immense personal and financial hardships that COVID-19 has put on the populations we serve. It is our responsibility to inform our community members about available resources that can ease their anxieties around paying their mortgages, rents, and utility bills.

The Pennsylvania Homeowner Assistance Fund, or PAHAF, is a housing-related program funded by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to assist Pennsylvania homeowners facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic that began after January 21, 2020, (including a hardship that began before January 21, 2020, and continued after that date). The program will provide financial assistance to homeowners for qualified mortgage and housing-related expenses to avoid delinquency, default, foreclosure, or displacement.

What is Covered?

The PAHAF program provides assistance for the following mortgage and housing-related expenses to help prevent mortgage delinquencies, default, foreclosure, and displacement. The maximum amount of assistance for any homeowner under the PAHAF is $30,000 or up to 24 months of assistance.

Mortgage Reinstatement

Provides funds to bring a first mortgage current and to pay other housing-related costs, such as taxes and insurance, if included in the mortgage payment, related to a period of forbearance, delinquency, or up to the maximum per household assistance cap of the lesser of $30,000 or 24 months.

Forward Mortgage Payment

Provides forward payment assistance for up to 6 months or until the maximum per household assistance cap of the lesser of $30,000 or 24 months is reached. This program element is only available to homeowners who also qualify for mortgage reinstatement assistance and is not available as a standalone option.

Property Charges

Provides funds for past due property taxes, reverse mortgage insurance premiums, homeowner association (HOA) fees, condominium fees, or common charges that put ownership of the property at-risk including mortgage foreclosures and displacement of homeowners. Maximum assistance falls under the maximum cap of $30,000 or 24 months and

  • $5,000 for delinquent property taxes
  • $3,000 for insurance premiums
  • $5,000 for delinquent homeowner/condominium fees

Delinquent Utilities

Provides funds to resolve delinquent payments for utility services, particularly for those utility bills where no program currently exists in the Commonwealth, and that there is imminent loss of utility disconnection, liens, possible foreclosure, or homeowner displacement. Utility assistance may be available in combination with mortgage reinstatement and mortgage payment assistance or as a standalone option for homeowners without a mortgage. As a standalone option, the maximum utility assistance is capped at 24 months or $3,000.

  • $5,000 for delinquent property taxes
  • $3,000 for insurance premiums
  • $5,000 for delinquent homeowner/condominium fees


To see if you are eligible for assistance, click: Eligibility Requirements

If you qualify for PECO’s Customer Assistance Program (CAP) you can receive a monthly credit on your PECO bill. The credit is based on your household’s gross income and energy use.
Your monthly CAP credit is based on the following information:
Monthly gross household income – Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
Annual energy usage – The amount of energy you used in the past 12 months.
Energy burden – The percentage of household income that goes to energy costs.
PECO uses these three pieces of information to determine your monthly CAP credit.
That credit amount is applied to a CAP customer’s PECO bill each month. Energy usage can change due to the weather. So, CAP customers will receive a larger credit during months they use more energy.

Do You Qualify for CAP?

To qualify for CAP, monthly household income cannot be more than:

  • $1,610 – One person in home
  • $2,178 – Two people in home
  • $2,745 – Three people in home
  • $3,312 – Four people in home
  • Add $567 for each extra person.

In addition, you must use PECO for your electric and natural gas supply to qualify. You cannot be enrolled with a competitive supplier.

How to Apply

In order to apply for this assistance, you will need the following:

  • Address and phone number associated with your PECO account
  • Full name and birthdate of each household member
  • Proof of income during the past 30 days for each household member
  • Examples include pay stub, unemployment compensation letter, pension check, workmen’s compensation check, DHS award letter, child support order letter, Social Security award letter and Supplemental Security Income
  • Social security number for each household member (optional)


You can apply online here: Apply for PECO CAP Program.
Or you can download an application, however application submitted online may be processed faster.
Download CAP Application – English (pdf)
Download CAP Application – Spanish (pdf)

If you download a CAP application, you can submit it three ways:
Fax: 1-855-358-9369
P.O. Box 467429
Atlanta, GA 31146-9801

If you need help with your application, you can call 1-800-774-7040.

PGW’s Customer Responsibility Program is a customer assistance program that can help low- income customers better afford their PGW bills and keep their gas service on. CRP customers pay less each month and past debt is forgiven.

Apply online now through My Account and have the following items available:

  • Proof of gross household income for the past 30 days, and
  • The name, social security cards and date of birth for each household member

Anyone having trouble paying their water bill should apply for help using the Philadelphia Water Department’s one-stop application process. They use a single application for all water bill assistance programs, including the Senior Citizen Discount and the Tiered Assistance Program (TAP). If your income is too high for those programs, a Special Hardship can make you eligible for TAP.
Assistance Program (TAP). If your income is too high for those programs, a Special Hardship can make you eligible for TAP.
New assistance programs are designed to help more Philadelphia Water Department customers, including:

  • Households with low income.
  • Seniors.
  • Those experiencing a special hardship that makes it difficult to pay their water bills.


You will need the following to apply and please do not send originals.

1. Water Access Code (found on your bill)

You will need the 9-digit number in the upper right of any recent water bill (click the question mark for the example)

2. Two Proofs of Residency:

Include TWO different items from the following list:

  • Current government issued ID with current address (driver’s license or ID card)
  • Current rental agreement, or agreement for sale for the dwelling unit.
  • 2 recent utility bills (must show service and mailing addresses, and be dated in the last 6 months), tax bill, or other tax record.
  • Lease, rent book, or money order receipts that show your address.

3. Proof of income for everyone in the household over age 18:

  • For each person in your household (age 18 or older), please gather proof of all income using the following list of acceptable documents:
    Prior year’s federal income tax return (you’ll just need the page that shown name gross income.)
  • Pay stubs (must be consecutive and cover at least 30 days)
  • Income support statement – For example, if you receive Child Support, we’ll ask for some proof of the current amount and source, such as: A letter from (you will need to login to the site), or fill out the page of the application called “Attachment A: Income Support Documentation”
  • Benefit award letter or statement, such as: Unemployment compensation printout, Workers’ compensation award, Social Security letter, Pension letter, or Welfare benefits statement.

4. If you are applying with a Special Hardship claim, you’ll need to submit some form of hardship documentation:

  • Termination letter to prove job loss
  • Hospital admission or discharge documents to prove serious illness
  • Birth or adoption certificate to show household size increase
  • Death certificate to prove the death of main income earner
  • Safe harbor documents to show shelter admission due to abuse
  • Copies of most recent bills, including utilities, medical, or childcare to show high household expenses or medical bills.
    To Start your application,  click: Begin Application

Familiar Roads Home HealthCare is deeply committed to helping our clients achieve the highest quality of life possible and that means having access to healthy food. We host several foods drives every month so that our Seniors have reliable access seasonable fruits and vegetables, as well as heart-healthy meats and grains.

PhilAbundance is the largest hunger relief organization in the Delaware Valley. For more than 35 years, PhilAbundance has focused on providing emergency food in order to relieve hunger in five counties in PA and four counties in NJ. Of those they serve each week, 16% are seniors, many of whom are living on fixed incomes and limited resources. The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) provides USDA-donated food to low-income seniors through monthly “senior boxes”. Philabundance packs and distributes these boxes to strategically chosen locations throughout the Delaware Valley, ensuring that more seniors have access to shelf-stable foods to last them throughout the month. Boxes contain approximately 30 pounds of canned and boxed food including vegetables, fruit, juice, pasta, milk, cereal, canned meat, and a non-meat protein. A nutritional newsletter containing recipes and information is included in each box. They provide 4,500 boxes per month. To find out if you qualify and information on how to register for this services click: Guidelines for CSFP

Senior Resources For Specific Ailments And Diseases

The following organizations work specifically to provide guidance, support, and access to special programs for individuals fighting specific diseases.

  • Alzheimer’s Association Helpline — 800-272-3900
  • American Diabetes Foundation — 800-DIABETES
  • American Foundation for the Blind — 800-232-5463
  • American Heart Association — 800-242-8721
  • American Lung Association — 800-LUNG-USA
  • National Cancer Institute — 800-422-6237

Medicaid Waiver Program For Qualified Seniors

Familiar Roads Home Healthcare is an approved Medicaid waiver program provider for the state of Pennsylvania. This program is available to seniors who qualify financially and medically for additional support outside of a nursing home setting. To learn more about this coverage, visit the Department of Human Services website or call the Office of Long-Term Living Bureau of Participant Operations at 1-800-753-8827.

Contact Premier Personal Care For Additional Senior Resources

Our organization is here to help you and your loved ones as you age gracefully in your home. Our in-home aids enable you to recover in your preferred setting after experiencing injuries or illnesses and provide the opportunity to live independently later in life. Contact us today at 215-526-1251 to learn more about the services we provide and the additional resources we can help connect you to.